Mendel: Morphologist and Mathematician Founder of Genetics - To Begin a Celebration of the 2015 Sesquicentennial of Mendel's Presentation in 1865 of his Versuche über Pflanzenhybriden
Opitz, J.M.; Bianchi, D.W.
Molecular Genetics & Genomic Medicine 3(1): 1-7
Entering a school building, recently erected at state expenses, to attend a regularly scheduled evening session of a local and regional scientific association, few would give any thought to its foundation. Except perhaps those who watched the building go up in the downtown area of Brehm (Brno) in 1858/9 and who taught in it, as did Mendel (Fig. 1). Thus, 150 years ago, on a cold clear (IItis 1924) February night (2/8/1865) a small group of Augustinian monks, all priests, Mendel among them, made their way from their more or less permanent abode, the renowned, ancient abbey of St. Thomas, along the Johannesgasse to the new school building to hear Fr. Mendel present the results of his 8 years of research into plant hybrids, specifically crosses of several types of Pisum sativum, garden peas. The monastery with its beautiful Gothic church (Fig. 2) was located in Altbriinn (Stare Brno), incorporated into Briinn, then as now the capital of Moravia. At the time, Moravia was in the Austrian Empire in that portion of Silesia left to Austria after the three wars between Frederic the Great and Empress Maria Theresia. Later it was in Czechoslovakia, and at present is in the Czech Republic.